Via Vergini, 49 - Napoli (NA)
Manager: Father Michele Espositi
The church gave its name to the whole borough, formerly located outside the city walls, which was founded in the 14th century, along with a hospital; since 1334 it was managed by the Frati Crociferi di S. Cleto.
Some evidence was found of the original building, buried by a flood, which corresponds to the apse area, underneath the current sacristy: these excavations also helped to bring to light a group of 14th-century paintings.
When in 1654 the order of Frati Crociferi died out, the complex was given to the Padri della Missione, who enlarged its structures and used the old church as parish and, at the same time, built inside the new convent a church for their own activities.
The church of S. Maria dei Vergini has a rich portal in trachytic rock structured in two orders: the lower one shows two pairs of pilasters that frame the front door, while the upper one presents a niche containing a statue of the Immaculate carved in 1858 by Francesco Liberti and Giuseppe Pirotti.
The interior was seriously damaged during the Second World War and today it keeps important artworks: among these worth mentioning are the 18th-century high altar with multicolour mosaics and the beautiful baptismal font dating back to the 17th century, where S. Alfonso Maria de' Liguori was baptised.
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 08am - 12pm / 05pm- 08pm, Sun 07:30 - 02pm