P.zza Sanità, 18-20 - Napoli (NA)
Manager: Padre Antonio Loffredo
In the working-class district of Rione Sanità you can visit the church of Santa Maria alla Sanità also known as the church of San Vincenzo, called o' Munacone by common people.
It was built between 1602 and 1610, based on a project by the Dominican Fra' Giuseppe Nuvolo, on the site of the Catacombs of San Gaudioso; in 1613 the beautiful dome was finished, covered with yellow and green majolicas.
The façade, with stucco decorations of the early 18th century, stands next to a high bell tower, built between 1612 and 1614; the big clock in majolica is also from the 18th century.
There are many artworks along the nave and the lateral chapels: a panel (1610) showing the Martyrdom of San Pietro from Verona, by Giovanni Balducci; San Vincenzo Ferrer; SS Pio V and Alberto Magno; the Contemplation of Magdalene; the mystic Bridal of Saint Rose of Lima (1672) by Luca Giordano; the big altarpiece of Giovan Bernardino Azzolino (1612) showing the Virgin Mary of the Rosary and Saints; the mystic Bridal of Saint Cathrine and Saint Cathrine of Siena receiving the stigmata by Andrea Vaccaro (1659); Saint Thomas receiving the chastity belt (1652) by Pacecco De Rosa.
In the first right chapel, dedicated to Saint Nicholas, we can find the torn painting with the Madonna della Sanità(5th-6th century), originally located in the crypt, which represents the most ancient image of the Virgin known in Naples.
A beautiful staircase, with double flights, leads to the apse, where it is located the sculpture of the Madonna della Sanità by Michelangelo Naccherino. Under the presbytery there is the entrance of the early Christian basilica, decorated in stucco by Arcangelo Guglielmelli e Cristoforo Schor (1708).
Here the visitor can move to the ante-sacristy, decorated by Giovan Battista Di Pino (1625), showing the Descent of the Holy Spirit on the preacher friars.
Opening hours: Mon-Sun 09:30 am - 1:00 pm
Phone Number: 081 5441305